Frequently asked CDOT permit questions

How long does it take to get a Single Trip permit?

  1. The Permit Office has a 2-hour turn around time for the issuance of Single Trip permits.  We will not guarantee that applications received after 3:00 p.m. (MT) will be processed on the same business day.  Applications are processed in the order in which they are received.
  2. The turn around time for the issuance of Chapter 6 Specials (Superloads) is 3-5 business days.

Our busiest days of the week are typically Mondays and Fridays.  We recommend that applications be submitted early in the day to avoid delays.

How much does an oversize overweight permit cost?
*Effective July 1, 2009 – Single Trip and Special Transport Permits issued will be assessed a surcharge equal to the amount of the permit fee pursuant to the passage of Senate Bill 09-108. A single trip permit costs $15.00*. If the vehicle or load is overweight add $5.00* per axle. For example a six-axle semi-truck/trailer with a load exceeding 80,000 pounds would cost $45.00.  Here is a complete list of the permit fees:

Single Trip Oversize  $15.00*

Single Trip Oversize/Overweight   $15 plus $5 per axle*

4 axles    $35*

5 axles    $40*

6 axles    $45*

7 axles    $50 *  and so on

Single Trip Non-Interstate Overweight Divisible (Vehicle must have a quad axle grouping)
$30 plus $10 per axle

Single Trip Non-Interstate Two/Three Axle Overweight Divisible (power unit/trailer combo, trailer must have at least two but not more than three axles) $15* + $10* per axle

Annual Oversize Permit $250.00
Annual Oversize/Overweight
Annual Overweight only
Company Fleet Permit (CFP)
base fee for first 10 vehicles
Annual CFP (each vehicle over base)
Special Permits $125.00*
Fleet Base Fee $1500.00 plus $25 per vehicle
LVC Permit
Non-Interstate Overweight Divisible Annual (Vehicle must have a quad axle grouping)
Non-Interstate Overweight Divisible Fleet (Vehicle must have a quad axle grouping)
Plus $35 per vehicle
Non-Interstate Tandem/Triple Axle Overweight Divisible Annual (Tractor/Trailer combo, trailer must have a tandem or triple axle grouping) $500.00
Non-Interstate Tandem/Triple Axle Overweight Divisible Six-month permit (Tractor/Trailer combo, trailer must have a tandem or triple axle grouping) $250.00
Credit Card Fee $3.00 per transaction per permit

Does the Oversize/Overweight (OSOW) permit that CDOT or a WASHTO state issue also permit the vehicle/load to operate on city streets or county roads?

No, it is the responsibility of the permittee to contact and obtain permission or the required permits from the respective cities and counties to use their roads.  The OSOW issued by CDOT or a WASHTO state is limited to the designated highways listed on the permit.

What are the legal dimensions and maximum weight limit in Colorado?
Colorado’s legal height is 13’ except where designated 14’6″ by CDOT; maximum width is 8’6” and 80,000 pounds Combined gross vehicle weight on Interstate and 85,000 pounds on Non-Interstate highways. There is no overall length requirement for truck tractor semitrailer combinations as long as the trailer does not exceed 57’4”. A combination of vehicles coupled together cannot exceed four units and is limited to 70 feet in length. Call  303-757-9539 for routing questions.

Extra-Legal permits must be obtained prior to entry into Colorado or prior to movement of the vehicle/load.

How do I apply for a permit?
You can fax, mail or submit an application via the Internet to the CDOT Denver Office and we will fax your permit back to your at any location that you choose or mail it or you may walk-in the application to the Denver office or a Regional office. The application can be found in the “Permits” link found on this page.

Where can I get a permit?
All permits are issued from the CDOT’s main office. However, you may submit an application for a permit by fax, online or by stopping at our main office or any region office. Call us and we will fax you an application or you may obtain a copy from this website, fill out the application and we will forward the permit to you.  You may online from this website.  There is an option to login as a ‘Guest’ user for ordering a single trip. Colorado is a pre-clearance state. You must purchase your permit prior to entry or movement of an oversize/overweight load in Colorado. Call  303-757-9539for more information.

How can I pay for a permit?
You can pay for a permit with cash, a check, a credit card (Visa or MasterCard only), or through an established escrow account. There is a $3.00 service charge per permit to use a credit card. Exact change for payments made by cash is required at the CDOT offices. If you plan to order several permits, you may choose to open up an escrow account. To establish an escrow account a minimum deposit of $250 is required and the escrow balance cannot fall below $25 to remain active.

How do I get a permit for a Longer Vehicle Combination?
Contact our office find out the requirements for obtaining Longer Vehicle Combination (LVC) permits. LVC’s are eligible for annual permit only and are limited to travel only on selected segments of the Interstate.

Do pilot car operators in Colorado need to be certified?
Yes, you will need to complete the pilot escort course. Effective August 1, 2007, the pilot escorts must carry a minimum of $1,000,000 of either Commercial Liability or Combined Single Limit insurance – policy must indicate the coverage is for the pilot escort operations. Your driving record must be clear of any conviction of drug or alcohol related offenses and has not had a single moving violation penalty assessment of six points or more. Colorado recognizes certifications from Arizona, Florida, Oklahoma, Utah, Washington and the Specialized Carriers and Riggers Association.

Can I purchase an IRP 72-hour Laden Weight permit or a Fuel Tax trip permit at CDOT offices?
No, you need to contact the Department of Public Safety/Port of Entry at  (303) 273-1870.